Throwing an elegant holiday get-together doesn’t have to be stressful. Buffets make dinner parties easy: you can get dishes out quickly and keep them warm while guests can help themselves.
Here are a few tips for hosting a wonderful holiday buffet without breaking a sweat.
Planning Your Buffet
One of the toughest challenges when planning a party is trying to decide how much food is needed. Fortunately, there are a number of general principles you can follow when planning your menu and recipes (see sidebar). Some additional advice:
- Assume your guests will taste everything on a buffet.
- Anticipate which food selections will be most popular and serve more of them than the general portion guidelines suggest.
- The more choices you offer, the smaller your calculation of individual portion size should be.
- If the thought of running out of food causes you stress, then round estimates up. Keep a few non-perishable treats on standby, just in case.
- Offer both hot and cold foods on a buffet.
- Use recipes that can be made in advance, which will save you time and energy on the day of the party.
Set Up a Self-Serve Beverage Bar
The last thing you want is to spend your own party fixing drinks – set up a beverage bar so your guests can help themselves. Stock it with:
- A variety of beverage choices. If serving alcoholic beverages, be sure to provide non-alcoholic alternatives as well!
- Assorted precut garnishes (lemons, limes, olives, etc.).
- Plenty of ice and an ice scoop or tongs.
- Holiday-themed cocktail napkins.
- Appropriate glassware for the selection of beverages.
Decide on Decorations
When it comes to table decorations, think small. Save space by displaying low arrangements in lieu of a large centerpiece. Use small holiday accents, like poinsettias, pine sprays or frosted pine cones, to fill any empty spots on the buffet table.
Prep Ahead of Time
Make as much of the food ahead of time as you can. Of course, some things cannot be made beforehand, but try to get all of your prep work done as early as possible. If you’re organized and have everything ready when the party starts, you’ll be better able to attend to and enjoy your guests.
Last but not least, enjoy yourself! If you are having a good time, your guests will have a great time as well.
We’ve Got You Covered
Broadway Party & Tent Rental makes holiday entertaining easy with its wide selection of rental equipment for parties and events. From tables and chairs to linens, dinnerware and décor, Broadway is here to provide quality rental equipment so that your party exceeds expectations!