If you have extended family or long-distance friends getting together for the holidays, it’s the perfect time to capture a photo of the whole group together. Time with our loved ones is fleeting, and it’s important to take the opportunities to photograph a large group whenever we can – who knows when we’ll next have the chance?
Taking large group photographs doesn’t have to be difficult! We have a few tips to get that photo you’ll treasure for years to come.
- Scope out your location and come prepared. Whether you’re taking a photo in a home or traveling to a new spot, make sure you visit it in person first, and then communicate the location clearly to all attending. Bring props and equipment, such as choral risers (great for taking photos!) or chairs, to make sure everyone is seen.
- Time the photo according to the light. It seems like a bright, sunny afternoon is best for photos, but that’s not the case! Cloudy weather actually provides better light, and prevents those in the photo from squinting into the sun. Of course, you can’t plan for weather, so choose a shady spot or shoot in the evening.
- Ask everyone to wear solid colors. No need to color-coordinate, but prevent any one person from standing out by having all participants wear simple, solid-colored clothing.
- Bring a tripod, a timer and a wide-angle lens. Because you need to be in the photo too!
- Keep it simple. This is not the time for elaborately posed photos. Just make sure everyone can be seen, and everyone is smiling.
- Have fun! Don’t let this be a stressful experience – that will show in the finished product. Keep the atmosphere lighthearted, and try to make it quick!
At Broadway Party Rental, we have a wide variety of rental equipment that will make your group photograph turn out just the way you want it. Check out our wide selection of chairs and seating – including risers – and give our Twin Cities party rental experts a call at 763-208-1357 with any questions!