If you’ve rescheduled a wedding or party for next summer, or if you’re thinking ahead to graduation parties and other outdoor events, you probably have tents on your mind. It’s a good idea to start planning tent rentals (as well as tables, chairs and other party rentals) early, especially if you’re planning your event for a traditionally busy time of year.
But what do you need to know when you rent a tent? How can you make sure to get the right tent for your space, guest list and budget? We’ll answer these questions and more below:
Decide on Location
This means more than just the physical location of your party – it’s where you’ll actually place the tent. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a location:
- Surface: Will the tent be going on grass? Gravel? Asphalt? Tents need to be secured with either weights or stakes. Staking is always safer and costs less. Drainage is also a consideration, especially if it rains. Tents not only take up ground space, they take up air space as well. Are there low-hanging utilities or trees that need to be trimmed?
- Access: Big tents need big trucks! Broadway will need to know how long of a carry they’ll need to bring the tent to the final location.
- Weather: Any outdoor location has weather concerns! But if your location is notoriously windy or shade-less, this will be something to consider. Tents cannot be installed during high winds or lighting.
- Utilities: All public and private utilities are required to be located and marked prior to setup. If customers are setting up the tent, it is their responsibility to call the utility company at least 48 business hours prior to set up. If Broadway is setting the tent up, we will take care of that for you. However, we require a layout and preferably a week’s notice for staking. The property owner is responsible for locating private utilities and sprinkler heads.
- Permits: Some zip codes require permits or extra paperwork to set up a tented party.
- Space: 20 feet doesn’t always mean 20 feet. Certain tents need extra clearance for support and stakes.
Estimate the Guest List
Although you likely won’t have a final guest list until right before the event, you’ll need a rough estimate in order to determine the right tent size for your party.
Specify Party Activities
What will be going on under the tent? Will you need tables and chairs, a buffet table, a dance floor, or something else? That will determine what size tent you need, as well as any accessories (heating, lighting, fans, wall panels, and more).
From tents and tables to silverware and serving dishes, dance floors and décor to lighting and linens, Broadway Party & Tent Rental has the Minneapolis party rentals for your next event. Visit our online catalog and contact us to learn more.
This is an updated blog post, taken from a post that was originally published in May 2016.